Sunday, September 27, 2009

What The People Want




My recollection of history is not sharp, but (correct me if I'm wrong) weren't the founders mostly looking for freedom from governmental intrusion? I don't remember any writings about health care or bailing out banks or social security. What is it about freedom from "government services" that got their waistcoats in a twist? They only briefly mentioned the "general welfare" of the citizenry, and I don't recall their pounding the table about the "will of the people" as being the standard of wise government. Maybe the founders were wrong and we need to downplay the "Land of the Free" thing. On a sliding scale of Freedom to Slavery, what mix of liberty and bondage will make for the highest general welfare?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.