Monday, November 30, 2009

Malcolm Wells, 1926-2009







My friend Malcolm Wells died Friday, at the age of 83. A true Renaissance man, Malcolm was an architect, author, illustrator, artist and intellectual. In his own words, here is the Father of Underground Architecture:

In 1964, after 10 years spent spreading corporate asphalt on America in the name of architecture, I woke up one day to the fact that the earth's surface was made for living plants, not industrial plants. I've been an underground architect ever since.

The above photos are from Wendy Mathias's website devoted to Malcolm Wells.

Wendy Mathias has just posted a pdf file of Malcolm's self-written obituary. Click Here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this news. I only spoke with Malcolm on the phone twice, while writing my book Underground Buildings: More than Meets the Eye. He was very gracious and even volunteered to send me copies of several of his books. He was a class guy and a real inspiration.
    Loretta Hall
    SubsurfaceBuildings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loretta,
    I corresponded with Malcolm for almost 20 years and even had dinner with him and his wife Karen once. He was the kindest, most encouraging man I ever met.
    Thanks for your comment.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.