Saturday, March 20, 2010

Forrest Gump, Our King

First off, I've never seen Forrest Gump. I'm a busy man, and I don't have time to waste on a touchy-feely movie about a wise retard. It might be a great movie. I've never heard anyone say otherwise. But from the inescapable movie quotes and bits of the story, I've decided I'd rather keep my lunch in my stomach, thank you.
That said, I've been thinking about a post on Sharp As A Marble. In a comment, Linoge of Walls Of The City, says that society seems to be arranged to suit the Lowest Common Denominator.
There is an assumption of helplessness in this country, and that notion is being exploited to shackle people who are able to provide for their own needs. Ayn Rand called it an "orgy of self-sacrifice" and Frederick Bastiat called it "stupid greed and false philanthropy". Right now would be a good time to settle down to a good long bout of examination of ideas.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.