Sunday, April 11, 2010

Carpenter's Freehold


“I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the former is dangerous and the latter safe.
 I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under the shadow of the policeman’s club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave.”

H.L. Mencken

Anything that limits your freedom also limits your opportunities. Any new government program limits freedom, adds to the docile herd of dependent classes, and reduces your opportunities to live without "government assistance".
I recently read Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold, a story about a man who would rather eke out a threadbare existence in freedom than live in posh comfort as a slave. That's me as well, but there's a problem. Freedom requires frontier. You can't fight 300 million people who want to live the slave life. If you don't think freedom, with all its risks and dangers, is preferable to slavery, then there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. And I'm certainly not The Chosen One, a charismatic leader who can lead his children to the promised land of freedom. You'll have to find your own freedom.
So where lies frontier? If I knew, I'd beat feet to get there. Space perhaps, or floating ocean colonies, or rebuilding the world after an apocalyptic meteor collision.

                 

2 comments:

  1. I plan to stand my ground because that's all I can do. Anything else requires a lot of money which I don't have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mayberry,
    I'm not sure what I'd do if I had lots of money. As for standing ground, I cave in every day--each time I have to pay property taxes or renew the registration on our vehicles or fill out my income tax form, or any of a million other outrages against my dignity.
    The freedom movement will never have a leader, because freedom goes in every direction, even though I think that people will voluntarily cooperate with eachother in freedom. Statism has one purpose, bending the wills of the citizen-slaves, and it seems like there's a limitless number of "leaders" to herd the sheep. Why anyone would consent to be herded is beyond me. Wouldn't it be funny if everyone was like me, hating their chains but not knowing what to do about it?
    I'd choose freedom, even if it were harder. Hell, even if it was a daily struggle for existence, I'd still prefer it to what we have right now. But I just don't know where to go. It seems like every damn square inch of this planet is claimed by some fucking government, and everybody just loves their government and can't understand why anyone would chafe at our leg irons.
    So I'm still thinking....

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.