Sunday, June 6, 2010

The New Las Vegas City Hall

                 

After almost a year out of work, I'm finally employed again. These footings are in the basement of the 7-story building that will soon house the Las Vegas city government. Comfortably ensconced in their new, posh digs, tireless and self-sacrificing public servants will be able to serve you better. In the background notice the Golden Nugget Hotel and the Union Plaza Hotel.



Here's Wayne, the foreman for Flippin's Trenching, digging another spreadpad footing. The forms in back of his bucket are for elevators 1-5. There are about a hundred spreadpad footings in the basement, ranging from 8'x8'x2' to 19'x19'x4'.


This is Carlos, my partner. He runs the total station. The orange calculator is a mini-computer that connects to the gun and allows us to lay out any point on the project in seconds. Carlos and I first worked together on the Caesar's Palace job that finished up a year ago.


Here I am. I'm the rod man. The thing in front of me is a prism. It reflects a laser beam back to the total station to measure distance. Then Carlos tells me to go left or right, away from or towards the gun. When Carlos tells me a point is "good", I drive a feathered nail into the ground and spray paint from point to point. Then the dig is on. Carlos and I have been keeping ahead of 4 excavator crews and 8 carpenters setting up templates for wall and column rebar. Now that footings are being poured, we also have to mark the precise location of walls and columns. All in a day's work.

        

2 comments:

All comments are welcome.