Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ingredient of Freedom



Mayberry has an annoying habit of causing me to think. He had a series of posts on his quest for Galt's Gulch, i.e., a place of freedom. The big problem is that most people don't want freedom. They're terrified of freedom and can't imagine anything other than the slave life. So how do you find freedom? Frontier, baby! But there's precious little of that left on this human-infested planet. For frontier, there's only space and ocean, both difficult to inhabit. But there's another way to freedom, even in a crowded city. A necessary ingredient. All you need is the ability to defend yourself against government and private thugs who want what you've got. Some sort of weapon or force field or invisibility cloak. I can imagine it, but I can't build it. The ability to blend into your surroundings, like Predator. A Harry Potter cloak. A Jedi light saber. That sort of thing. And the will to use it is important too.
The cool thing about space or ocean as a frontier is that it's hard to tax or rob a household that moves. It makes self-defense a lot easier, especially if you've got the Millennium Falcon or a nuclear submarine. I could dream like this all day, but on a carpenter's wages I'm not likely to be high bidder at a government submarine auction.
  

2 comments:

  1. That "moving target" can work on land as well, especially if you hang out in lightly populated areas. Montana comes to mind, Idaho, maybe Utah. I am encouraged, and intrigued by "van dwellers". They sorta have a version of your Predator cloak. Uh oh, I don't know about you, but I got myself to thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mayberry,

    Thinking again? Quit it!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.