Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Post That Wouldn't Write Itself

I've been writing notes all week in odd moments. Sometimes, on the way to work, I'd pull over and scribble a few lines. I was on fire with ideas to finally square this country away and right its path. This weekend I was going to write my breakthrough post, a sweeping indictment of government excesses that have crippled this country. Only one problem. I was completely wrong.

Richard Mitchell* used to say that we should examine our beliefs, especially our most closely-held beliefs. As long as I can remember, I've believed that freedom is a good thing, that presented with a choice between freedom and slavery, every sane person would choose freedom. This is palpably not true, but my beliefs blinded me.

So now I have to conclude that a preference for freedom, aka liberty, is merely an opinion. You might just as well prefer non-freedom, aka slavery, and your opinion would be every bit as valid as mine. There's just a couple of problems with my new discovery. First, I don't enjoy being clubbed over the head and robbed, and I'm not much good with the bowing-and-scraping thing. Second, it would require a certain amount of freedom of thought to conclude that slavery is preferable; and only in complete freedom would choosing slavery have a moral imperative.

Have a nice day.


*What? You've never read Richard Mitchell? He wrote a newletter called The Underground Grammarian and four books on the subject of grammar usage and how it relates to our ability to think. Everything he wrote can be read online, for free. Go now and read.

                                               

4 comments:

  1. Of course it's not true. Look how many Americans choose slavery every day. The problem is that they don't know it's slavery because they've been conditioned to believe it's freedom. Yep, we're screwed either way! Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mayberry,

    I have a possible explanation. Maybe freedom terrifies people. They know they couldn't survive without "safety-net" slavery. But they also can't admit to themselves that they're not competent to live. So they invent a fantasy--land of the free, home of the brave.

    Thanks for your comments. It's nice to know that someone besides me "gets it".

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anon 9:22,

    Yer welcome! Come back any time.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.