Sunday, August 29, 2010

Of Clouds and Dead Trees


I'm a real sucker for a purty cloud. This is the view to the east of our home. Normally the sky is monotonously bright blue here, but during monsoon season these clouds come up in the afternoon. Click to embigmentize.


A dead tree in Nevada, near the Colorado River, that calls to me. This picture is underexposed. I used a "scene mode" which automatically selects settings like aperture and shutter speed. There's an "exposure compensation" button on my camera that I should have used here, but I need to learn more about it first.


This shot is slightly overexposed. I used a different "scene mode". Notice the holes near the top of the tree--critter holes. I've seen hawks, vultures, and even an eagle perch on this old dead tree.
In case you're wondering why a dead tree attracted my attention, this is out in the middle of the desert. There are no trees out here, just bushes. To see a foot-and-a-half diameter dead tree in the desert is most unusual.

                 

2 comments:

  1. Far too often I watch clouds build and dump to the north, south, east, and west of me. I love a good thunderstorm, and sometimes we might get six in a good year! Ha ha. Except for in the neighborhoods, trees are a rare sight here as well. Neighborhoods have all those juicy sewer lines to bore into...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mayberry,

    Thunderstorms are the best! I never get tired of them.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.