Sunday, September 19, 2010

What I Believe

I believe that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty and the democratic form is as bad as any of the other forms.

I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under the shadow of the policeman’s club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave.”

H. L. Mencken

Yeah, what he said! I may be an American slave, but I yearn for freedom. If I see an opportunity to escape this huge penal colony, I'll take it. For the record, I prefer the Galt's Gulch method over the Watering-The-Tree-Of_Liberty course of action.

I used to consider myself a tolerant man. I'm not homophobic, and a person's sexual preferences are not only none of my business, they do not color my opinion of the person. Although I retch and gag at the smell of tobacco smoke, I do not holler for laws against smoking in public. I've never tried any drug except caffeine, but I think the war on drugs should end. I don't drink, but I think DUI laws should be repealed. I think belief in an invisible cloud being is without merit, but as long as I'm not forced to accept such beliefs, you should be free to believe anything you want. On and on.....

But there is a point at which I become intolerant. People who can't handle freedom are not humans; they are sheep and deserve only contempt.
      
          

2 comments:

  1. You know I agree. I'm thinking Galt's Gulch would be a good name for a sailboat. I also hear the South Pacific is nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mayberry,

    Then what are we waiting for? Except, you know, the women folk dragging their feet and the lack of a $1-million-dollar diesel-engine sailing yacht. I mean, what else is holding us back?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.