Friday, December 10, 2010

Man In The Moon


I like the thin crescent moon. I took this shot with my Nikon D3000 hooked to the back end of an Orion 60 mm refractor telescope, using it as a "prime lens". Length of exposure was 1/6 second at ISO 100. In Photoshop all I did was a little cropping.


Earthshine! This shot was 3 seconds long, same scope. I allowed the blown highlights in order to get the earthshine. Notice this pic is a little blurry. I wasn't tracking the motion of the moon with the motorized tripod, and the moon hauls ass across the sky. Mrs. UC showed me how to use "levels" in Photoshop to emphasize the earthshine in this pic.

Work is brutal right now and I had to sacrifice some sleep to get these two shots. The big layoff is coming (nature of construction) around Christmas, so I'll have more time then to play with my toys.
                   

4 comments:

  1. hay, I have a d3000 swell, and I think in getting a 76mm reflector or 55mm refractor telescope, and I was just wondering how you hook the nikon to the telescope? Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon,

    You'll need two things, a T-ring and a T-ring adapter. The T-ring hooks to your D3000 just like a lens. The T-ring adapter connects the T-ring to the telescope.

    You'll have to use manual mode to take pictures, and manual focusing, too.

    Let me know what you get. I'd like to see some pictures.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your help, and is there is specific size?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taylalee,

    Telescope lenses, diagonals and adapters come in either 1.25" or 2". Those are the two standard sizes, and with most telescopes you can mix and match brands as long as you get the right size.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.