Sunday, January 2, 2011

Save Yourself

I know that you've been damaged
Your soul has suffered such abuse
But I am not your savior
I am just as fucked as you

Save Yourself, by Stabbing Westward

What if you woke up one fine morning and had to face the horrible fact that the entire world was insane; and not just a little insane--completely bat-shit crazy to the point of harming themselves. Would you try to help them, gently try to lead them to sanity? The task seems daunting, perhaps not achievable in a lifetime. Might be easier to just save yourself.

                               .                                 .                                   .

4 comments:

  1. You can't get everyone. But you can help a few. I've gotten others to wake up. As with anyone who is sleeping, you can't shout at them. They'll only throw stuff at you.

    I was a neo-con myself, once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brass,

    It coulda' been worse. Instead of a neo-con, you mighta' started out as a liberal.

    Sleeping is a good description of our fellow Americans. But I'm not a towering intellect, a teacher, or a leader, so other than throwing out a signal to like-minded freedom-lovers, there's not much I can do.

    It's funny, 160 years ago, Bastiat railed at the same damn things we complain about. He was eloquent, polite, and mostly ignored.

    On dark days I'm with Mencken.

    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

    Thanks for stopping by. And think about starting a blog.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    As I'm sure you realize, "slitting throats" wouldn't accomplish anything of substance. You can't change the nature of a concentration camp by replacing the Kommandant and planting flowers around the electrical fence. Real change happens in the individual heart. Ideas change the world. Slowly. But surely. I believe in a final judgment for every individual. If I didn't, I'd immediately take matters into my own hands. But the fact remains, a flock of sheep isn't startled when a wolf is killed and they never recognized it, before or after its death, as a wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brass,

    You're right, of course. But shouldn't there be some level of shit up with which we will not put? If all humans were sheep or if they were all wolves, I'd find my dealings with them easier.

    If only I could find some frontier, I'd back slowly and quietly out of this country. I'd rather build anew than die a certain death in a futile rebellion.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.