Sunday, March 13, 2011

Open Clusters In Scorpius


I was out stargazing this morning. Early in the morning, about 3 a.m., the half-moon set, which made for darker skies and brighter stars. This is a shot of M6, an open cluster in the constellation Scorpius. I used an Orion 80mm scope as a prime-focus lens for my Nikon D3000. ISO 800 and a 20 second exposure.


This is M7, another open cluster in Scorpius. Same ISO 800, but a 30 second shot this time. Click on either picture to embiggen.

I do a 3-star alignment to easily slew to any cataloged object in the sky. The alignment requires me to punch in longitude, latitude and exact time. The NIST gadget I put in the sidebar gives me time to the second.

                          .                                        .                                                 .

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.