Saturday, August 13, 2011

Marvelous Night For A Moondance

Being an incorrigible early-riser and it being a full moon nearing moonset, I stuck my trusty Nikon D3000 and VR 55-200mm lens on a tripod. I had to shoot in manual mode because the "night" scene mode wanted to use the flash, and since it determined I wasn't shooting at anything near enough to use a flash on, it refused to snap a pic. Which meant I couldn't use the autofocus either.


This was a 3-second exposure, ISO 200, and an f/stop of 5.6. Because of the totally blown highlights, this shot looks like the sun, but it is indeed the moon and the time was about an hour before dawn's early light. I overexposed to bring out the clouds and the mountain peaks.


Thin mask of clouds in front. This was 1/50 second shutter speed and same ISO 200 and f/5.6. I was hoping for some real drama with the clouds, but this was about my best shot.


Even more cloud masking. 1/4 second exposure. The cloud gods were not kind this morning. They wouldn't give me something stunning.


1/10 second here. There were dense clouds right above the mountain tops, so I couldn't get a shot of the moon setting over a mountain peak. Maybe next month.

Posted by Dave

6 comments:

  1. Dave come on, you didn't steal the second pic from the Dracula movies? Seriously that is the kind of shot we used to see in every horror movie. I used to love horror movies now if I want to get scared I just watch the news! Take care Bro!

    China
    III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi China,

    Oh, you're funny! Now that you mention it, I have noticed an awful lot of vampire and werewolf action coming from the District of Criminals. Guess I'd better stock up on crosses and silver bullets.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copper jacketed will work just fine : ) Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Craig,

    Since they're not supernatural, but merely human monsters, copper-jacketed should work. Even the copper jacket wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for lead fouling the barrel. :-)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave I unlinked from Urban Survival can you see if I still have pop up? Thanks!

    China
    III

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi China,

    You're good-to-go now. No more scary pop-up from Google. Removing that link worked.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.