Sunday, May 20, 2012

I Looked At The Trap, Ray!

Yeah, I screwed the pooch, hemmed and hawed, and procrastinated on buying a solar filter for my telescope. So we're going to travel back in time to see how we did this in the old days.
                                          .

My assistant, Pedro Glyph, holds the image screen, while I hold the solar lens(pinhole in heavy paper) and the camera.
                                           .

We were a bit south of the totality path. This is the maxed-out partial eclipse.
                                           .

Here's something I discovered. The solar lens doesn't need to be a pinhole in paper. Here I made a solar lens with my hand. The eye of this shadow-critter is the eclipse image. Mrs. UC just rolled her eyes at my great discovery.
                                                    .

This is probably the cleverest eclipse picture you'll find on the Innertubes. Yer welcome.

Posted by Dave

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Kellie,

      Thanks. Because of that eclipse and the Venus transit across the sun in June, every solar filter made is out of stock. Grrrr! I think the next total eclipse over America will be in 2017, somewhere in Idaho. Road trip!!

      Dave

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! That's cool. Love Pedro too : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig,

      I thought I was being creative, but Kent McManigal outdid me.

      Dave

      Delete

All comments are welcome.