Sunday, May 6, 2012

Super Moon!

H/T to Lisa over at Ranger Against War for giving me a heads up on the Super Moon.
                                                        .

Here's the scope. I use this 150mm(6") Celestron C6 as a prime-focus lens for a Nikon D3000 DSLR. This shot shows the telescope "unadorned", without its normal bling of lenses, guidescope, motor controller and whatnot. This is how I carry it out to the astroslab.
                                           .

The SuperMoon. ISO of 100 and shutter speed of 1/400 second. Clicking on the pic should embignify.
                                           .

Same pic, just "sharpened" and cropped a bit in Photoshop.
                                            .

Playing here. I put the 2X barlow lens on the back of the scope to make for more biggerness. Had to bump up the shutter speed to 1/80 second.

Posted by Dave

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful -- I was hoping you would share your artist's take!

    I've never seen the moon looking more lovely than in these photos. While I laid out on a yoga mat to watch the very bright moon, I'm sure it was far more magnificent from your perspective.

    A fun thought to know another across the country is also peering up at the same time. Ah, I think of the lovely tune from "An American Tail", "Somewhere Out There" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    These were taken about 9 p.m. I didn't get any shots of the huge, orange moon rising. At 5 a.m. next morning I was ready to get some moonset shots, but clouds didn't allow.

    I never get tired of looking at the moon.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was going to say you have the heart of an astronomer, but really, it is that of a philosopher. It is only by looking outwards that we can gain perspective.

    Whitman made me think of it:

    When I Heard the Learned Astronomer --

    WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer;
    When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
    When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
    When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
    How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
    Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
    In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
    Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    "…Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars."

    That's a great quote. Kinda like looking up from the page and wondering, a moment of understanding that can only come from silent reverence. I have to admit that I get caught up, too much, in "charts and diagrams".

    I was trying just now to remember Socrates' quote about why men become philosophers. Google to the rescue:

    By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.

    Socrates


    I married too well to become a philosopher. Certainly not another Socrates. At least I occasionally put down my charts and diagrams and just look up at the night sky.

    “Philosophy is written in that great book which ever is before our eyes -- I mean the universe…”

    Galileo Galilei


    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Lisa, thank you for your kind words on my attempts at photography.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the thing that is most need for comprehension: "silent reverence", IMHO.

    Well-said.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.