Monday, June 11, 2012

Along The Milky Way

Lovely evening. The wind died down after howling all day. The moon didn't rise until just after 1 a.m. Skies were inky black and the stars were poppin'.

This is M22, a globular cluster in Sagittarius. I used an autoguided Celestron 6" refractor as a prime-focus lens for my Nikon D3000, to get this 73-second shot. This pic is right out of the box, no cropping, no edits. All I did was convert from nef (Nikon Electronic Format) to jpg. It's a huge file, something like 10 Megs, so I hope it doesn't slow Blogger down.
                                           .

The Lagoon Nebula, also in Sagittarius. 51 second shot. Notice how blue the stars are. Click to embignify.

Posted by Dave

7 comments:

  1. beautiful and now even more appreciated! So glad I was able to take an astronomy course this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie,

      Thanks. And don't study the stars too hard. Keep a little mystery in the stars.

      Dave

      Delete
  2. Very nice pics Dave.
    Ya make me lust for an autoguided scope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Art,

      Thanks for your kind words. It's a rabbit hole of accessories that I sometimes wish I hadn't gone down. Last night was worth it.

      Dave

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi China,

      Thanks. I had a blast taking these. It was one of those nights where everything worked perfectly. Even the moon waited patiently to rise until after I had shot these.

      Dave

      Delete
  4. Dude those Blue ones are just incredible really!
    I keep telling ya Posters!

    China
    III

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.