Monday, June 4, 2012

Beneath The Strawberry Moon

This is called the Strawberry Moon, a full moon in strawberry-picking season. Click the pic to embignify.
                                           .

This shot was taken a little before 3 a.m., PDT (Arizona Time). Just starting to eclipse.
                                           .

A little more. These photos were all taken with a Celestron 6" refractor as a prime-focus lens for a Nikon D3000.
                                           .

I used different shutter speeds between 1/60 second and 1/640 second. I prefer to underexpose a bit. You can always brighten the photo in Photoshop, and the detail is better.
                                            .

All of these photos are pretty much right out of the box. I haven't cropped, sharpened, or lightened. All I did was convert from nef (Nikon Electronic Format) to jpg.
                                           .

Getting close to max here. Even without the scope, this is a stunning sight.
                                           .

4:04 a.m. Maxed out. Cool, eh? Oh, and did you know that there is always a lunar eclipse two weeks before or after a solar eclipse (Like the one on May 20)? True fact.

Posted by Dave

6 comments:

  1. I didn't get up in time to see this. I am not a "morning person", so I'm glad you documented the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kent,

      I'm an incorrigible early-riser. If I didn't have to work, I'd be nocturnal.

      Dave

      Delete
  2. Absolutely stunning, and without editing!
    (The 1st shot makes the moon look like a complex cantaloupe, I thought.)

    I did not know about strawberry moons or the connection of lunar and solar eclipses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      I love cool full-moon names, like Strawberry Moon or Harvest Moon or Hunter's Moon.

      I'm learning Capture NX-2, Nikon's image-editing program. When I get more comfy with it, I'll play with sharpening those moon pics.

      Dave

      Delete
  3. I've just run through your most recent photos since this one -- magnificent! You are an artist of the heavens ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    Thanks for your kind words. Deanne and I haven't been out much lately--triple-digit temps and monsoon clouds make for poor viewing. After the heat breaks, we've got some serious plans to document the heavens.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.