Saturday, August 4, 2012

Front Entry Cover, Feng Shui Style

Where was we? Oh yeah, I had just trailered home the X-columns that Kevin at Arbogast Construction had just freshly welded together.
                                          .

First order of business is bolt templates, so that I can pour some footings. Here I clamp a piece of plywood to the base plates, then I mark the hole centers.
                                           .

After drilling the plywood, I put the anchor bolts on the templates.
                                            .

The bolt template is centered to its layout, set to grade, and then I cut away some of the plywood to allow the concrete to flow into the footing better.
                                           .

Footing poured. Each footing is 6' X 3' X 2' deep.
                                           .

I used a crain to set the X-columns. Photos by Mrs. UC.
                                               .

After two trips to Ace Hardware, I was still one washer short. Grrrrr! At this point, I fine-tuned the base plates to make sure the X-columns were centered and set to the right height.
                                            .

Then I stood back and looked at things from every possible angle.
                                          .

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the tops of these four joists to allow me to screw the joists to the main members with large self-tapping screws.
                                           .

I set up scaffolding to place and screw the joists on. Photo by Mrs. UC.
                                           .

Pedro (Pedro-Glyph) supervised the setting of the joists.
                                           .


The roofing is 22 ga. bare steel corrugated sheets. Already rusting nicely.
                                            .

After setting the curb forms, I grouted the base plates with a non-shrink grout.
                                          .

Tightened the bolts one final time, then I cut and bent and tied in rebar. Ready to pour.
                                          .

The ready-mix company I normally use wanted $250 for a "short load" of 1 cu. yard of concrete. Screw that! I went to HomeDepot, bought 40 bags of Quickrete for $100. I ended up using 31 bags, which I mixed in a wheelbarrow. After stripping the forms, I replaced the irrigation lines I had to take out to dig the footings.
                                            .

Feng shui accomplished. Bam! Shading the front door nicely.

Posted by Dave

2 comments:

  1. Jeez, when you build something you don't screw around! That looks awesome, and it sure as hell ain't going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig,

      We had a windstorm Thursday. The tree to the left in the last picture was bending down to the ground. I saved it by tying the tree to the cover.

      Dave

      Delete

All comments are welcome.