Monday, September 24, 2012

Saving The Earth

OK, here's a cool toy. A $750,000 Caterpillar Trackhoe with an electro-magnet, found at Las Vegas Metal Recycling. I've just pulled my trailer-load of cut-up rebar over to this awesome machine.
                                          .

I didn't get a picture of him, but rest assured, Larry is at the controls.
                                          .

Larry swings the magnet over for the third of four grabs of 1,000-lb bundles of rebar on my trailer. I travelled 120 miles with this load because the recycler in my town pays $100/ton and Larry pays $225/ton. Well worth the gas.
                                         .

Ker-chunk! That's 1,000 lbs of rebar! Apologies for the lousy phone pics, but I never dreamed they had this cool toy. I was expecting a forklift or a backhoe, so I didn't bring my camera, Fortunately, my cell phone has a camera and I know how to use it and download the pics. (Not easy.)

Posted by Dave

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've always loved tractors and various Caterpillar earth moving equipment. I love simplicity and form meeting function. There is nothing extraneous on this equipment ... you can see the mechanics of the thing, and they are as compact as is possible to get the job done. I love that, generally, real men operate them.

      Oh, and they're usually painted bright and cheery colors, like green and yellow.

      As an aside, I saw some yellow industrial lamps on the road for nighttime work and thought what fabulous industrial-looking interior lighting they would make :)

      Delete
    2. I've always loved tractors and various Caterpillar earth moving equipment. I love simplicity and form meeting function. There is nothing extraneous on this equipment ... you can see the mechanics of the thing, and they are as compact as is possible to get the job done. I love that, generally, real men operate them.

      Oh, and they're usually painted bright and cheery colors, like green and yellow.

      As an aside, I saw some yellow industrial lamps on the road for nighttime work and thought what fabulous industrial-looking interior lighting they would make :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Lisa,

      I like the bright and cheery colors too. My favorite part of a project is digging the footings, because of all the heavy equipment. I love the noise and movement of machinery.

      Dave

      Delete

All comments are welcome.