Wednesday, October 17, 2012

M31 and NGC869

I used a little bit bigger scope last night, the Celestron C6R refractor. Would you like to know what I think of the C6R? Celestron has good optics, but everything else about their scopes is crap. They force you to buy an undersized, totally inadequate mount in order to get the C6R. That's the first thing I tossed. I replaced it with an Orion Atlas Mount. The Orion mount is heavy--even with the scope and counterweights off, it's all I can do to carry the mount to the astroslab. I have to reassemble everything outside. (Not hard.) The scope itself? Optics good, but the focuser is Chinese crap, useless for focusing. I replaced the Celestron focuser with a Starlight Instruments FeatherTouch focuser, the best goddam focuser money can buy. So now my C6R is a delight to use.
                        .
Andromeda Galaxy, M31, up closer than last post. More detail. I'm really pushing a 30-second exposure with an ISO of 6400. A bit of noise reduction makes a pretty fair shot. Blue colorcast on the brighter stars.
                     .
NGC869, an open cluster in Perseus. 30-seconds at ISO 6400. Mrs. UC took out the blue colorcast to the stars that is pronounced in the Andromeda pic above. I've already forgotten how she did it. Next time I'll write it down.

Posted by Dave

2 comments:

  1. Don't you hate it when the first thing you've got to do to something is modify it to make it useful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig,

      Yup. What's even worse is watching a formerly good company go down the tubes because they let the Chinese take over making their products. Once I get my back up over a company, absolutely nothing can bring me back.

      And not just telescopes. I'm sure you've noticed that it's impossible to buy a quality tool anymore. I have a 40-year-old drill that will outlast any brand new one. How sad.

      Dave

      Delete

All comments are welcome.