Sunday, December 9, 2012

Silver Creek Road

Thursday, my next-door neighbor took me on his 4-wheely to the nearby hills. We crawled around some mines and gawked at the scenery.
             .

This mine shaft goes down at least a hundred feet, at an angle. We determined this by dropping rocks in and listening to them bounce and echo back.
            .

Saturday, Mrs. UC and I took a drive on Silver Creek Road, which goes from Bullhead City to Oatman. It was freshly graded, so even with the dust it was a nice drive.
                 .

Lots of out-the-window shots. Photo by Deanne.
                  .

Every hill and mountain around here has a name. I don't know what this one's name is, but I'm going to call it Can Opener Hill.
                .

I wish I had some of these rocks in my front yard.
                    .

Rest in peace, Thumper.
              .

Thumper probably died working one of these mines.
                       .

This one is for my sister who takes the coolest foreground/background pictures. 
                 .

These guys are wild. They were very wary of me, so this is a long-range, tele-photo shot.
                 .

This is the quaint little town of Oatman, and these guys are very tame. They beg for handouts.
                 .

When Mrs UC didn't roll down her window, this guy tried to, I swear, open the door. Photo by Deanne.
                   .

Cute little burros.
             .

Obligatory shot of dilapidated shack. It was either this or the restored conestoga wagon. The shack won.
             .

Shark's Tooth in Oatman.


Posted by Dave

2 comments:

  1. I used to love to go wandering, but we don't have anything near this interesting nearby. Just flat land, brush, and water... Thanks for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig,

      That water near you is pretty interesting. I love your boating YouTubes.

      I've been here in Arizona for 6 years and I never knew how cool these hills were until my neighbor took me up to see them a few days ago. There are hundreds of mines, miles of well-travelled trails, and a score of off-the-grid, skull-and-crossbones homes up there.

      Dave

      Delete

All comments are welcome.