Thursday, March 14, 2013

Night 4

Four nights in a row I've set up the telescope. That's a record. The wind has been blowing during the day, but the nights have been grand. Last night was breezy and there were some clouds, but I still got some good shots. For these photos, I used a Celestron 6" refractor. All shots at ISO 1600.
              .

This is M11, a semi-globular open cluster, called "Wild Duck." It's in the constellation Scutum (The Shield). 63.9 second exposure.
                   .

M16, The Eagle Nebula, in Serpen Cauda (The Serpent's Tail). Not my best shot of The Eagle, but this pic was photo-bombed by a lil' shooting star. 46.9 second exposure.
                   .

I've been wanting to get a really good shot of M51, The Whirlpool Nebula, in Canes Venatici (The Hunting Dogs). This is not bad. 124.5 seconds.
                      .

The Great Globular Cluster, M13, in Hercules is one of my favorites. Bright, and easy to find. 64.5 seconds.
                     .

To do The Ring Nebula justice, you'd need a seriously high-powered scope. This blue smoke ring is pretty, but tiny. M57 is in Lyra. 66.1 seconds.
                         .

M27, The Dumbbell Nebula, in Vulpecula (The Fox). 53 seconds.
                        .

Lagoon Nebula, M8, in Sagittarius (The Archer). 62.3 seconds.

I didn't use an autoguider on any of these shots. It complicates the setup hugely. I've got to piggy-back a scope and work back and forth to make sure the object of interest is centered in the camera's viewfinder and the guiding star centered and locked in the autoguider. I struggle with it, and results have been mixed. I might whip out the autoguider tonight. Maybe.

Posted by Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.