Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Grand Canyon

A nice day trip, South Rim of the Grand Canyon is 4-1/2 hours away.
            .

The Canyon has permanent haze.
             .

Flowers!
                .

Your friendly neighborhood Underground Carpenter.
          .

Mugging for the tourists. This guy had more cameras trained on him than a presidential press conference.
                       .

Looking down.
               .

The lovely Mrs. Underground Carpenter.
              .

Isn't this a cool building? I love the door, too. This is the Geology Museum.
                  .

Lots of nice outcroppings for spectacular views.
                .

Family pictures! Are these folks Mennonites?
At one point, while we were walking along the edge, a nice young couple approached us and the man handed me his camera to take a picture of them. He didn't ask me, he just handed me his camera. Maybe he didn't speak English. Every language you can think of was being spoken around us.

Most of these pictures were taken by Deanne.

Posted by Dave.

2 comments:

  1. I want to see that some day. The door on that building reminded me of a place we went to when I was a kid out in Terlingua, TX. It was called La Kiva, which means "The Pit". It was a restaurant/bar (maybe still is?) which was half buried in the ground. It had a big, heavy wooden door which had a counterweight/pulley system to assist in opening it.

    Apparently the place is still up and running! Yep, just like I remember it:

    http://www.lakiva.net/tour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig,

    You know Underground Carpenter is totally down with all things Kiva! I'd love to check that out!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome.